The Best Pumpkin Spice Latte Drink
The Pumpkin Spice Latte is a coffee drink made with a mix of traditional fall spice flavors (cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove), steamed milk, and espresso, topped with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice.
Since 2015, it has also contained a small amount of pumpkin puree. The drink is offered by Starbucks and many other cafés on a seasonal basis, usually being introduced on the first of
September—though in 2014 the drink was introduced a week earlier on August 25—and usually, depending on the store, will end sometime around the end of December.Print
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup hot brewed coffee
- Whipped cream
- Dash pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat milk, pumpkin and sugar over medium heat until hot (do not boil). Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, the vanilla and coffee.
- Pour into 2 large mugs.
- Garnish each with whipped cream, dash pumpkin pie spice and a cinnamon stick.
Allow the Pumpkin-Spice Latte to cool, and serve over ice for a cold version.
If you do not have pumpkin pie spice at home, make your own by combining 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
This will make about 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice mix.
Tip: I tried this last year and it was good, but the pumpkin kind of settles to the bottom of the cup. I “steeped” the pumpkin and spices in the milk and then strained it before adding to my coffee. This keeps really well in the refrigerator.