Spinach & Sausage Cannelloni Recipe
Who says making a cannelloni dish for dinner needs to take hours of slaving in the kitchen?
This cannelloni recipe is perfect for a weeknight or can even be prepped and frozen ahead of time for a convenient weekday dinner. Make a few batches of this recipe and hold off the tomato puree and cream of mushroom for the moment you’re about to bake it.
This cannelloni recipe is good for 2-3 persons but can easily be doubled for a larger group. No extra salt or spices are needed because of the sausage and the cream
of mushroom soup.
- ½ lb sausage of your choosing (the secret of no need for spices is using sausage, which is already
- seasoned), or about 1 and 1/c cup of sausage
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup frozen spinach (with the water already squeezed out)
- Cannelloni shells, about 8-10 pieces
- 1 regular can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 16-oz can of tomato puree
- Make sure you got all the ingredients that you need ready to go.
- Chop up the garlic, onion, and sausages in very small pieces to make them easier to stuff inside
- the cannelloni shells.
- In a pan over medium to high heat, sauté the sausages, onion and garlic until browned and
- cooked through. This step will give this dish a deep flavor which would make it seem that t too
- half a day to make it.
- Add in the thawed and squeezed frozen spinach and allow to cook together on low for about 10
- minutes to let all the flavors all meld together.
- Once the mixture is slightly cooled, use a teaspoon to stuff the sausage and spinach mixture
- inside the cannelloni shells. At this point, you can freeze up the cannelloni if cooking it on
- another day.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. On a Pyrex dish or baking pan, arrange the filled cannelloni shells
- making sure there is about half an inch of space in between them.
- Mix together half of the tomato puree and half of the cream of mushroom soup plus half a cup
- of water.
- Pour over the cannelloni shells.
- Add in another half a cup of water and top with the remaining tomato puree and cream of
- mushroom soup. This ensures there is enough liquid to cover and cook the cannelloni and that
- all the ingredients are well incorporated. Bake for 40-50 minutes until pasta is cooked through.
- Serve up and enjoy
dinner preparation for busy individuals. Can also be cooked in the slow-cooker on low for 6-8 hours but
the water should be reduced to only half a cup.