I made this Skillet Salisbury Steak the other night, and it was better than what I thought.
I usually make hamburger steak, but then found out that there is a difference between Salisbury Steak and Hamburger Steak.
As I was going through recipes I ran across hamburger recipes and thought to myself, wow I wonder what salisbury steak is because
it looks just like hamburger steak to me. Well I will tell you.
What Is The Difference Between Salisbury Steak and Hamburger Steak?
It’s all in the ingredients.
Hamburger Steak should contain only meat and seasonings with rich brown gravy.
Salisbury Steak includes different ingredients like eggs, onions, bread crumbs, (or crackers) and yes rich brown gravy.
I have even seen some recipes that use panko bread crumbs and real bread crumbs.
There are many different ways you can make your Salisbury Steak by adding whatever ingredients you like.
Here is my Skillet Salisbury Steak Recipe.
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 10.5 ounce can condensed beef broth
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- ½ cup smashed up crackers
- 1 egg
- 1 jar or can of brown gravy.
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ⅓ cup water
- Place butter and thinly sliced onions in your frying pan skillet.
- Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes, make sure your onions don’t brown.
- Add in mushrooms and cook until all liquid is absorbed.
- In a separate bowl combine beef, ¼ cup of the broth, egg, pepper and crackers or your choice of bread crumbs.
- Mix well and make 6 patties.
- In small bowl, combine remaining broth, flour, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, mustard powder and water.
- Mix well.
- Remove mushrooms and onions from the pan.
- Place beef patties in the pan and brown on each side.
- Place onions and mushrooms on top of patties and pour broth mixture over top.
- Pour gravy over the top and stir in.
- Cover and let simmer about 20-25 minutes or until done.
Serve over creamy mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles!
Top it off with a Dessert. Just Click on the Dessert Link.