Salsa Verde Chicken Rice Foil Packs are a favorite of mine.
I am obsessed on these tin foil pack dinners these days.
And I hope you love them too because I already have other tin foil dinners all ready to post! We may or may not have had tin foil pack dinners for lunch and dinner every single day this week. Get dinner on the table in a flash with almost zero cleanup thanks to these easy foil pack recipe ideas.
Start with a protein like chicken or fish. I always need different ways of using chicken. Next, choose a starch. Many of these recipes use potatoes, rice, or even pasta. I prefer rice. You’ll want to give the rice and pasta a head start by beginning the cooking process before adding to the foil. Each recipe should have instructions on any precooking necessary. Be sure to add loads of fresh chopped veggies. Bell peppers, onions, and corn seem to be popular choices in this roundup of quick dinner recipes. Finally,the best part is to finish with a sauce.Print
- Cooking spray, for foil
- 1 c. salsa verde, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 3/4 instant rice
- 1 3/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 c. shredded Monterey Jack
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving, optional
- Avocado slices, for serving, optional
- Hot sauce, for serving, optional
- In a large bowl, combine salsa verde, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and garlic.
- Add chicken and toss until covered.
- Marinate for 20 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Heat grill (or grill pan).
- Cut 8 large sheets of foil, then double them up on top of one another to make 4 thick pieces. Spray generously with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine instant rice and broth and let stand for about 5 minutes, or until most of liquid is absorbed. Stir in lime juice and zest, then divide mixture between foil packets. Top rice with black beans.
- Remove chicken from marinade and season all over with salt and pepper. Place on top of rice and black beans then top with cheese. Fold and seal edges of foil to create a packet, then grill until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes, rotating packets half way through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with more salsa verde, lime wedges, and hot sauce, if using.