With Summer coming to an end, and fall quickly approaching, it’s time to use up the leftover stone fruit you may have in your pantry. This Plum Clafouti Recipe takes on the classic French clafouti, a dessert traditionally composed of stone fruit and custard.
- 1 pound plums (, cut in half with stones removed (I used 6 medium sized plums))
- 2 tablespoons sugar + 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees F (210 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and sprinkle on 2 tablespoons sugar. Place halved plums face down into the butter and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and 1/2 cup sugar until well blended. Whisk in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, mix together milk and cornstarch until well combined. Whisk milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Place plums face up in prepared baking dish. Pour the liquids over the plums. Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm, with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
- Keep refrigerated in a covered container.