Well it’s getting ready for back to school time and what is the icky thing that usually shows up first? Head Lice. We’ve all heard about it but you only know how horrific it is IF you have dealt with it in your hair and/or household. I’m itching just thinking about it. There are lice shampoos out there, but almost 25 years ago when my kids where in school it was extremely expensive, so I can’t even imagine how much it is now. Here is just one of the all natural head lice treatments.
Head Lice Prevention according to webmd.com
Head lice are easily spread among children because kids commonly share hats, combs, and other items. If you or your child has head lice, you can help prevent others from getting it if you avoid head-to-head (hair-to-hair) contact during activities inside the home and outside the home. Also, don’t share clothing, bedding, hair brushes and accessories, pillows, stuffed animals, or towels. Frequently examining the scalps of your school-age children may help you discover and treat lice before they spread to the rest of your family. Avoiding prolonged close contact with a person who has lice will also reduce your risk.
Natural Head Lice Treatment
- White or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Coconut Oil
- Shower Cap or plastic bag
- Thin tooth comb
- Rinse your hair with the vinegar, don’t wash it out, leave it in until it dries.
- The vinegar dissolves the ‘glue’ which sticks the eggs to your hair follicles.
- When the vinegar has dried, pour coconut oil into your hair, making sure you get complete coverage.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or hair wrap & leave it in for the whole day, as it will take a few hours for the coconut oil to smother & kill the lice.
- Comb your hair to get as many of the eggs & lice out as possible and then shampoo as normal. You only have to do this once, it really works & no chemicals!” says Nena Patrick from Coconutoil.com current July 2015 post.