Finish off a cheery holiday meal with this Magic Layered Lemon Cake. Top this tart dessert with fluffy whipped topping for the perfect balance of flavors.
Magic Layered Lemon Cake
- 4 eggs (, separated)
- zest and 1/4 cup juice from 1 large lemon (, divided)
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pkg. ((3.4 oz.) JELL-O Lemon Flavor Instant Pudding)
- 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (, melted, cooled)
- 1-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
- Heat oven to 325ºF.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl with mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Reserve 1 tsp. lemon zest for later use. Mix remaining zest with lemon juice and milk until blended.
- Combine flour and dry pudding mix. Beat egg yolks and powdered sugar in large bowl with mixer until thickened and pale yellow in color. Add butter; beat 2 min. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, mixing well after each addition. Whisk in egg whites.
- Pour into 8-inch square pan sprayed with cooking spray. (Pan will be full.)
- Bake 50 to 55 min. or until center is almost set and top is golden brown. Cool completely.
- Spread COOL WHIP over top of cake just before serving; sprinkle with reserved lemon zest.
- Courtesy of Kraft