Lemon and white chocolate are a truly heavenly combination, each one enhances and accentuates the flavor of the other. But I’m sure you’ll probably want to see for yourself. And I’m quite certain that, “If you knew scones tasted like this, you too would have become a believer a long time ago!”
Lemon and White Chocolate Scones
- Lemon & White Chocolate Scones:
- ½ cup reduced fat sour cream (, not fat-free)
- ½ cup half & half
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ sticks ((6 oz) butter)
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 6 oz good quality white chocolate chips
Lemon Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- 2 oz reduced fat cream cheese* (, softened)
- 3 Tbsp half & half
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1½-2 cups powdered sugar
- Lemon and White Chocolate Scones:
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Spray 10 – 3½-inch (or 8 – 4½-inch) tart pans with baking spray. Place on a sheet pan. Set aside.
- Combine sour cream, half and half and lemon juice. Stir till smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Stir and set aside.
- Cut butter into approximately ½-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Add butter pieces and pulse on and off 10-12 times or until butter is incorporated, but still in small pieces similar to coarse meal. Add white chocolate chips and pulse one more time.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add sour cream mixture and stir with a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Dough will be quite stiff.
- With a large scoop or spoon, divide dough evenly between the tart pans. Wet one hand with warm water and lightly press on dough to even surface. Re-wet hand as needed to prevent sticking.
- Place in oven and immediately lower temperature to 350˚F. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown and scone is firm when lightly touched in the center.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes then remove tarts from pans by inverting onto cooling rack. Cool for a least 20 minutes then drizzle with Lemon Cream Cheese Drizzle.
Lemon Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- Combine cream cheese and 1 Tbsp half and half in a medium size bowl. Whisk until smooth. Gradually add rest of half and half, stirring till smooth.
- Add lemon juice and stir until well incorporated. Add 1½ cups powdered sugar and stir until all sugar is incorporated and icing is smooth and lump-free. If too thin, add more powdered sugar till icing is thick enough to drizzle nicely. Drizzle icing over scones with a small spoon or a fork. Cool until icing is set.
- COOK’S NOTE
- *Reduced fat cream cheese is often labeled as Neufchatel cheese. It has half the fat of regular cream cheese, but is still very tasty. Don’t use the no-fat cream cheese for this recipe.
- Author: Chris Scheuer