Hasselback Potatoes are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. The special accordion cut and infused oil preparation make them a little more challenging, but well worth the effort. The seasoning in this recipe is very straightforward, try different seasonings to suite your taste. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the video. This recipe is courtesy of Paul Kahan for the Idaho Potato Commission.
IDAHO HASSELBACK POTATOES
- 1 garlic clove (, smashed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (, divided)
- butter (, as needed)
- 3 Idaho potatoes
- Saffron (, as needed)
- 3 garlic cloves (, sliced)
- Simmer smashed garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil and a knob of butter in a small saucepan over low heat until ingredients are blended.
- Place potatoes horizontally on a cutting board. Starting at one end, thinly slice each potato, cutting three quarters through potato. Be careful not to completely through potato.
- Drizzle garlic oil mixture over potatoes and bake about 40 minutes in a 425(F) oven, until exterior is crispy and interior is soft.
- While potatoes are baking, heat saffron, sliced garlic and remaining olive oil in a saucepan over low heat. Slowly bring oil to a light simmer and when garlic is golden, remove pan from heat to infuse until potatoes are done.
- When potatoes are done, strain saffron oil through a fine meshed strainer. Drizzle about a tablespoon of oil over each baked potato and serve.
- Serves 3. A ten ounce potato took about 60 minutes at 425(F) in my oven. The internal potato temperature should be 185(F) when cooked through.