How To Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl. A healthy weeknight dinner packed with veggies and protein. Made with Broccoli Cole Slaw.
I love egg rolls and this is a healthy low carb paleo version of egg roll in a bowl recipe.
All of the delicious flavors of your favorite fried Chinese restaurant appetizer come together in a lighter, faster, one skillet meal! This “Egg Roll in a Bowl” is a quick and healthy dinner.Print
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast can substitute with ground chicken, ground beef, or ground pork
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil*
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic**
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup less sodium soy sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- ½ cup grated or “matchstick” carrots
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground meat and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Drain; return meat to skillet.
- Add diced onion, sesame oil, and rice vinegar to the skillet.
- Cook, stirring, for a few more minutes (until onion is tender).
- Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce (optional), coleslaw mix, and carrots to the skillet.
- Cook, stirring, for about 5-7 more minutes, or until cabbage is wilted.
- Remove skillet from the heat.
- Stir in green onions and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Don’t skip the toasted sesame oil!
This gives the dish it’s classic Asian flavor, and it’s very easy to find small bottle of the oil in the Asian food section at just about every grocery store