How to Make a Blooming Onion – Outback Steakhouse Copy Cat. It’s hard to hold back whenever you see those blooming onions at Outback Steakhouse and other classic restaurants.
The good news is that you can make them yourself right at home. And the great news: the mouthwatering, crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside snack is way easier to cook than you’d think. Watch the video to learn how – you’ll be a blooming onion expert in no time! – then print out the recipe.
Ingredients you need
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
24 ounces beer
4 Vidalia onions
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Outback Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 teaspoons creamed horseradish
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 dash black pepper
1 dash cayenne
01. For the seasoned flour-combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne-mix well.
02. For the Dipping sauce – Blend everything together well and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
03. For the batter -Mix cornstarch, flour, and seasonings until well blended.
04. Add beer and mix well.
05. Cut about 3/4 inch off the top of onion and peel.
06. Cut into onion 12-16 vertical wedges but do not cut through bottom root end.
07. Remove about 1 inch of petals from center of the onion. You can place the cut onions in cold water for a few hours to help “open” them up — just make sure that you drain them well.
08. Dip in seasoned flour and gently shake to remove excess.
09. Separate petals to coat thoroughly with batter.
10. Gently place in a fryer basket and deep fry at 375-400 for 1 1/2 minutes.
11. Turn over and fry 1 1/2 minutes more or until golden brown.
12. Drain on paper towels.
Note: These directions are as follows key ingredient. You can find the original Outback menu here. That is an Outback original! Their special onion is hand-carved, cooked until golden and ready to dip into their spicy signature bloom sauce.