This leads us to a question, ” What do you want you legs to look like?”
Muscular? Fit? Skinny?
Here’s a quick glimpse ( not all) of the top exercises(muscular,skinny and fit legs) you should perform for each (not necessarily all at once but an example as you’d need your own personal training plan to get best results):
NOTE: your diet and genetics both play a key part in the outcome. Hence, if your legs are made up genetically of more fast twitch muscle fibers then you’ll respond quicker to weight training and tend to look more muscular.
- Squat (barbell or dumbbell): 4-6 sets x 6-15 reps. sumo squat, front or parallel
- Leg Press: 4-6 sets x 6-20 reps feet parallel, feet wide with toes out, feet together with toes out and high up on platform.
- Back leg Curls: 4-8 sets x 8-15 reps * 8 sets for advanced as our hamstrings are not used as much as quads.
- Sprints: 4-8 x 25 yards, 4-6 x 50 yards, 2-6 x 100 yards 300’s x 2-4x with 30-60 sec rest
- Hill sprints 10-25 x 20 yards
- Lunges (walking or alternate pushing off toes)
- Bike (hills and higher gears)
- Plyometrics with or without weight (medicine ball etc.)
- Heavy Sled Runs
Fit Leg Exercises
- Squats mix between high reps 15-20 and low reps
- Leg Extensions (all three ways, see video above) immediately followed by jump rope high intensity 1 minute or jumping jack if can’t perform jump rope.
- Walking Lunges with or without dumbbells walk 20 feet x 8 active rest with jump rope
- Running short and long runs (3-12 miles), terrain and hill running included.
- Sprints mixed with short runs in same workout 8 x 25 yards x 1 mile run x 2-3
- Jump Rope or Jumping jacks 2-8 x 1-3 minutes
- Sissy Squats ( holding secure post with arms out straight, toes parallel and leaning back up on the balls of your feet the entire time in a squat position, see picture) 3-5 sets x 25-100 reps
- Star Jumps (much better and safer then burpees)
- Sled Runs light weight
- Kick boxing
Skinny Leg Exercises:
- Short and Long Distance Running (5-12 miles) 4-6 days week
- Lunges with no weights (walking 20-30 feet x 2-5x)
- Barre’ Exercises, Power Yoga, Pilates (pulsing etc.)
- Jump Rope ( high knee running) 3-5 x 1-3 minutes
- Ladder Exercises (high knee running) 2-4 x 2-3 minutes
- Back Leg Curls using a fitness ball 3-5 x 20 reps
- Leg press with feet out wide with very light weight for the inner thighs, pulsing 3-5 sets x 25 reps
- Squats with bar (25-45lb) or body weight 2-3 x 20-30 reps
Below is the star jump: best to do immediately after performing a short sprint or heavy leg exercises like a squat. Perform 20-50 reps depending on fitness level. Tuck into downhill ski position and jump high off the ground and throw legs and arms out into position as seen in pic 2 and go back into tuck position before reaching the ground. Repeat
Below is a sissy squat. Best done immediately after heavy weight training on the legs or a leg extension exercise. If at home, perform and then immediately follow with jump rope or star jumps. Perform 3-5 sets 25-100 reps depending on fitness level.
Below is an Expert Training Tip from Pro-Trainer Doug Bennett. Change the direction of feet to laser focus the leg extension to target your inner thighs (toes out and heels together), outer thighs (toes together and heels out) or front quads (feet parallel). Always flexed toes throughout (toes pulled back).
Example of what to do: Advanced training> after performing heavy squats and/or leg press perform 5 sets of 30 reps of leg extension @ 60% max. 30 reps = 10 reps feet parallel, 10 reps toes in, 10 reps toes out. After each set perform 1 minute high knee running.
Need help then simply comment.
Need an expert leg workout plan to get muscular, skinny and fit legs with most of these exercises you can do anywhere without a gym?
Then take a look at Pocket Trainer for Legs ( a 21 day lower body fix) for only 99 cents on Kindle. Note: also in printed version.