This homemade spiced plum butter is cooked slowly until it is concentrated and deep red. It makes a wonderful breakfast, served with toast or bagel.
- 3 1/2 pounds sugar plums
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut plums in half, remove pits, and cut into 1 inch pieces. Do not peel.
- Place in a 6 quart nonreactive saucepan, and add 1 cup water and the sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until fruit is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, puree fruit and liquid in a food processor.
- Rinse saucepan and return puree to pan along with allspice and cinnamon.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until thick enough to spread, 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Store in airtight container.
- Keep this stored in the refrigerator.