Homemade mocha ice cream. Our taste testers here at King Arthur claim this is the best coffee ice cream they’ve ever tasted. Feel free to mix in your own add-ins, if Oreo cookies aren’t a favorite.
Can you make this without an ice cream maker? Yes; it won’t be nearly as creamy, but will certainly taste good.
- Mixing paddle makes frozen desserts in 20 minutes or less
- Large capacity makes up to 1-1/2-quarts
- Double insulated freezer bowl eliminates the need for ice
- Easy lock transparent lid with large spout makes adding ingredients simple and mess free
- Built to North American Electrical Standards.
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, Dutch-process preferred
- 2 cups (1 pint) cold heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 Oreo cookies, broken into small pieces
- Whisk or mix together the milk, sugar, espresso powder, and cocoa till the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Stir cookie bits into soft ice cream, and serve immediately.
- For firmer ice cream, place in a covered container.
- Place in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours, until ice cream is as hard as you like it.
- Note: Freezing longer than this will make the ice cream rock hard; plan on softening at room temperature for 15-20 minutes or so before serving, if the ice cream has been in the freezer longer than a few hours.
- Don’t have an ice cream maker?
- Simply pour the chilled mocha cream into a bowl, place the bowl in the freezer, uncovered, and stir the cream every hour.
- After about 4 hours or so, it’ll be soft-serve consistency.
- Continue to stir and freeze till it’s the consistency you like.
- While it won’t be as creamy as churned ice cream, it’ll be absolutely delicious.
- After 6 or more hours in the freezer, it’ll become quite hard.
- To serve, simply remove from the freezer for 15 minutes or so, to soften it enough to make it “scoopable.”
- Yield: about 6 to 8 rich servings.