This Healthy Creole Chicken Gumbo Soup Recipe is a hearty dinner ready in 30 minutes! Add Pillsbury rolls for a full meal.
Enjoy this delicious warm and cozy chicken gumbo soup that’s perfect for Creole cuisine.
Healthy Creole Chicken Gumbo Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14½-oz.) can ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen cut okra
- 1½ cups cubed cooked chicken
- ¼ cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 to 8 drops hot pepper sauce
- In large nonstick saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, garlic and flour; cook and stir until flour is light golden brown.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover; cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until okra is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- courtesy of Pillsbury