Tried this Easy Slow Cooker Rustic French Onion Soup recipe today.
Better than any restaurant onion soup. Very easy and little prep time. You must try it.
- 12 cups thinly sliced onions (6 large) SAVE $
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ beef-flavored broth (4 cups)
- 20 slices (1/2 inch thick) baguette (about 10 oz)
- 6 oz Gruyère cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- Fresh thyme leaves, if desired
- Spray 6- to 7-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, place onions, butter, salt, pepper and dried thyme. In medium bowl, mix flour, sherry and water with wire whisk until blended.
- Stir into onion mixture.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 9 to 10 hours or until onions are softened and deep brown.
- Stir broth into slow cooker. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 10 minutes or until hot.
- Meanwhile, set oven control to broil.
- Line cookie sheet with foil.
- Arrange baguette slices in single layer on cookie sheet.
- Broil with tops 3 inches from heat 2 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over slices; broil 1 minute longer or until cheese is bubbly.
- Top each bowl of soup with 2 cheese toasts.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme.