Store bought gummy bears used to be a treat I considered to be healthful. Before our journey into a more natural lifestyle began, I thought anything that was low in calories meant “healthy.”
DIY Natural Sweet Gummy Bears
Orange Gummy Bears
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey ((use a good local raw honey))
- 3 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- gummy bear silicone mold
- Combine all ingredients except gelatin in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a whisk.
- Gradually whisk gelatin into the mixture, stirring constantly. (Avoid dumping gelatin into pan all at once, which will cause big globs of gelatin to remain in finished product.)
- Continue heating over medium-low heat until all ingredients are well combined and gelatin is completely melted. (The mixture will change from a grainy, jelly-like consistency to a more glassy, smooth consistency when gelatin is all melted.)
- Place gummy bear mold on a cookie sheet (which makes it easier to move without spilling once filled). Pour mixture into silicone mold and place in freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Pop gummy bears out of mold and store in an airtight container. They will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.