Chocolate chips and cocoa added richness to traditional gingerbread. For an elegant touch, bake the cake in a Bundt pan instead of the typical square.
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread
- Chocolate Chip Gingerbread:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Ginger (, Ground)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cinnamon (, Ground)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Vanilla Butter Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons butter (, melted)
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For the Chocolate Chip Gingerbread, spray 10-cup Bundt pan with no stick cooking spray with flour. Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and cinnamon in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and molasses in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in egg. Add flour mixture alternately with water, stirring just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- For the Glaze, mix melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, water and vanilla in medium bowl until well blended and smooth. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon glaze over cooled cake. Let stand until glaze is set.
- Courtesy McCormick