French onion soup gets its rich flavor and color from the cooking of the onions. While they simmer, the flavors become intense, making this soup a savory delight. French onion soup is a perfect comfort-food dinner, served with a side of bread for dipping and topped with a decadent layer of cheese.
HOMEMADE FRENCH ONION SOUP
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onions ((red or white depending on what you prefer. I use white).)
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
- 4 10.5 oz cans of Beef Broth
- 1 Qt of water
- 2 Tbls of Dry Sherry or Red Wine ((I use wine))
- salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Saute Onion until almost see through, then add your finely chopped garlic and continue to saute until soft. Add your salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir. While your pan is still hot add your beef broth slowly while stirring. Then add your sherry/wine. Stir. Add water. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- To Finish:
- Toast 4 – 8 pieces of French Bread. This is optional, some people prefer to not to toast the bread.
- Ladle soup into 4-8 oven safe bowels, put your bread on top of the soup. Top the bread with 2 slices of Provolone cheese and broil for 3 minutes on high or until the cheese is where you want it.
- HOMEMADE FRENCH ONION SOUP BY SHERRI FERSTLER